News & Events
Job Opportunity: Assistant Management Accountant
Position: Assistant Management Accountant – Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust
Reports to: Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust Administrator
Salary: £25k to £27k dependant on experience
Location: Castle of Mey, Thurso, Caithness, KW14 8XH
The Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust
The Castle of Mey, its’ surrounding land and farm were purchased by HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother between 1952 and 1955, and transferred to a charitable Trust in 1996.
The Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust now operates as part of the Prince’s Foundation Group with the charitable objectives of the preservation of buildings and monuments with historical importance and architectural interest in the UK, the advancement of the historical and architectural education by offering opportunities for access to into buildings or monuments and the preservation and education of the public of Aberdeen Angus Cattle and North Country Cheviot Sheep and the preservation in perpetuity for the public benefit of the Castle of Mey, its contents, its grounds and land.
The Trust has a wholly owned trading subsidiary, Castle and Gardens of Mey Limited, which operates the commercial bed and breakfast, shop, and tearoom.
The role primarily focuses on the finance support at Castle of Mey. The core function of the role is Finance Business Partner responsibility for Castle of Mey Trust and it’s trading subsidiary, working with, and supporting, the operational team with finance matters.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to; day to day processing of cash, income, and expenditure transactions; submission of quarterly VAT returns; assistance in preparation of monthly management account information for inclusion in the consolidated group management accounts including bank account reconciliations, maintenance of the fixed asset register, reconciliation of intercompany accounts and other balance sheet areas.
Specific Duties will include:
- Timely and accurate data entry to accounting system across both entities; purchase invoices, staff personal expenses, credit card reconciliations, raising sales invoices and posting of all related journals as required.
- Monthly credit control activities for trade debtors & reconciliation of deferred income balances.
- Weekly bank reconciliations for all accounts across both entities.
- Assisting in the maintenance and monthly review of the purchase order system.
- Managing the receipt of purchase invoices to ensure they are appropriately coded and authorised in line with control environment prior to processing on accounting system.
- Collation of supplier payment runs including uploading payments to online banking services for approval.
- Reconciliation of petty cash accounts and verifying documentation.
- Assisting in month end processes including maintaining fixed asset register.
- Assisting in reconciliation and management of intercompany balances between subsidiaries/associated companies and the parent charity.
- Reconciliation of restricted fund project expenditure.
- Submission of quarterly VAT returns for both entities.
- Assisting in recording of quarterly investment portfolio movement.
- Collating monthly payroll information for submission to outsourced processing provider.
- Submission of Gift Aid claims to HMRC.
- Assisting in the enforcement of financial controls among non-finance staff such as the use of authorised purchase orders.
- Assist with ad-hoc operational and statutory audit queries as required.
The essential skills, knowledge and experience required are:
- Part Qualified Accountant (ICAS, ACCA, ICAEW) or QBE
- Excellent technical accounting knowledge
- 1-3 years’ experience in a similar management accounting role. Experience of charities sector and group reporting requirements is preferred.
- Experience of payroll processing is preferred but not essential
- Experience of preparation of VAT on both invoice and cash basis.
- Experience of Sage and QuickBooks accounting software is preferred but not essential.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs – advanced Excel skills preferred.
- Desire to work with figures and communicate financial information to non-financial users.
- Ability to prioritise tasks effectively
- Strong team player, supporting both finance and non-finance colleagues, and developing good working relationships.
- The post will be based in Castle of Mey, Caithness with the requirement to travel on occasion.
- Your working hours will be 37.5 hours per week (5 days 9-5).
- You must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Please submit a cover letter and CV (please note one A4 page maximum each for CV and letter) to email@example.com