News & Events
The Granary Lodge: Food & Drink
Until further notice, following government guidelines, to maintain social distancing the drawing room and dining room in the Granary Lodge will remain closed.
Breakfast will be served in a hamper style box, delivered to your room at a pre arranged time.
Packed Lunches available for you to enjoy while out exploring Caithness.
Cream teas are available in the afternoons.
Platters are available from 5 pm to 8 pm.
Pre-booking essential for packed lunches, cream teas and platters.
A selection of our most popular locally produced beverages will be available to enjoy in your room.
Packed Picnic Lunches
When you are off on a day’s adventure and you don’t want to be worrying about finding somewhere to eat why not arrange a filling packed lunch. Easy to carry, packed away in a disposable paper carry bag. Just what you need when you want to relax in that idyllic spot you have found on you travels.
Your choice of the following:-
- Baguette, wrap, or bagel
- Filled with Tuna Mayonnaise, Cold Roast Ham and Orkney Cheddar, Egg Mayonnaise with Chives, Caithness Smoked Salmon Pate & Cream Cheese , Houmas
- Select a thirst-quenching beverage from Green Bottle Drinks
- Elderflower Presse, Crisp Apple, Raspberry Lemonade or
- Highland Spring Still Water or Sparkling Water
- Also with Chefs sweet bite of the day, packet of crisps, piece of fruit
- Gluten Free, Vegetarian and Vegan options available.
Delicious homemade scones served with Caithness Summer Fruit Strawberry or Raspberry Jam, and whipped cream from Grahams Dairy.
Arriving late or just want to spend a lazy night in why not arrange one of our delicious supper platters to be delivered to your room.
Crofters Platter - Pork pie, Scotch egg, Smoked Orkney Cheddar, chutney, Potato Salad, Salad leaves, Home Roasted Ham, crisps, crusty bread.
Cheese Platter (only available May – October) Showcasing Highland Fine Cheese Selection with chutney, crisps, oatcakes and crusty bread.
Our Cheese Board Artisan Cheeses are from the Highlands of Scotland, passionately created in Tain on Blarliath Farm by Reggie and Susannah Stone.
The milk for the cheeses comes from three farms, two from Caithness and one from the Black Isle.
- Strathdon Blue Strathdon Blue has a firm texture yet yielding paste with a rich, sweet blue flavour, slightly steely on the finish.
- The Minger A soft washed rind cheese. Minger has a strong washed rind aroma with a soft fresh creamy centre.
- Tain Truckle Cheddar A traditional cheddar that is double cloth bound and left to mature beyond a year. At full ripeness, nutty slightly sweet with a very long finish.
- The Fat Cow A semi hard, washed rind cheese. Fat Cow has a strong meaty aroma with a delicate sweet flavour and a smooth texture.
- Caboc Originating in the 14th Century, Caboc is deliciously light and with a lemony tang. Caboc is a double cream cheese, rolled in pinhead oatmeal.
Create everlasting memories together
If you are celebrating a special occasion, or just wish to spoil a loved one during your stay, you can add a variety of extra special touches to make your stay truly memorable.
For those special occasions the reservation team are available to help with all your requirements, to ensure your special getaway is a time to cherish and remember.
- Special occasion cake
- Handcrafted local artisan chocolates from Caithness Chocolates
- Box of 12 handmade chocolates or Vegan Chocolate Selection
- Bottle of Prosecco
- Bottle of Highgrove Champagne
- Fresh Flowers
At the Granary Lodge Luxury Bed and Breakfast, it has always been important to us to promote local produce wherever possible.
We aim to source our food from local producers, and to support local businesses and suppliers wherever possible.
Laid by free range hens reared by Halkirkburn Eggs at their Farm near Halkirk
Dairy products milk, cream, butter are from Graham’s Dairy Nairn
We use a wide range of Scottish Cheeses such as Highland Fine Cheese from Tain, Orkney Cheese and Smoked Cheddar from Caithness Smokehouse
Farmed in the Shetland Isles and smoked by The Caithness Smokehouse at Barrock
Jams and Preserves
Produce from fresh fruit grown on their farm in Halkirk by Caithness Summer Fruits
Meat products are from Harrold Brothers in Wick. Harrolds specialise in Mey Selections, which is meat that is sourced within 150 miles of The Castle of Mey. Whether it be Beef, Lamb, Pork or Poultry we know that we are receiving the best Scottish Quality mainly produced on family run farms.
Stornoway Black Pudding made by Macleod’s
Made by Harrold Brothers’ Butchers from Wick
Made daily at The Granary Lodge and by Macdonalds Wick
Cakes, Scones, Traybakes and Desserts
Made in house with eggs from Halkirkburn and dairy goods from Grahams Dairy Nairn
Biscuits in rooms are from Reids of Caithness
Fruit and Vegetables
The Castle gardens yield a wide abundance of fruit, herbs, salads and vegetables throughout the year, which enable the kitchen team to provide the freshest local seasonal produce for our breakfasts, picnics, platters and desserts. The fruit is used occasionally but mainly used to make jam and chutneys which are made by Caithness Summer Fruits.
Out with our growing and picking season we purchase our fruit and vegetables from Munros of Tain
Produce not available from indigenous producers are purchased from nationally recognised suppliers.
We want all our guests to feel completely comfortable during their stay with us, and you can be assured that all special dietary requirements are catered for.
If you have any special dietary needs, please let us know ahead of arrival and we can make sure we have all the necessary ingredients on hand to provide you with a breakfast that meets your personal requirements.
Whilst we take every precaution, we regret that we cannot guarantee that food prepared in our kitchen is free from nuts. Please inform us if you have a specific food allergy and we can supply a list of key food allergens which occur in your food.
Tel: 01847 851861 Email: email@example.com